Hi, I’m Captain John Gerhardt. I am a U. S. Coast Guard Licensed, Captain 50 GRT Coastal. I’ve been a “water baby” since birth. I was born in Chicago, where I spent my summers on Lake Michigan learning to swim and sail. I moved to Sarasota, Florida at the age of eight and had the privilege of living and growing up on the offshore islands of both Siesta and Casey Keys at Sarasota Bay. I found that I had salt water “in my blood” as I grew up power boating, sailing, skin-diving, crabbing and spearfishing.
During my teen years’ when my family moved to Casey Key, I lived for many years “over the water” in a boathouse, on stilts in the Sarasota Bay. It is still standing to this day. I’ve been an avid power boater since the time I learned to water ski on my first boat, a 12 ft Jon-boat with a 9.8 Mercury outboard. I’ve owned 15-power and sailboats in my lifetime, and plan on sticking with the two I run now, a 17ft. Triumph skiff and The Manta.
After graduating from Florida State University, I completed Seminary at S.W.B.T.S. and graduated with a Master of Divinity Degree. For the last 25 years I was better known as Chaplain John, serving the patients, their families and staff full-time in three hospitals. As a hospital chaplain, I’ve had the privilege of helping many bereaved families find closure after their loss of a loved one by facilitating their Celebration of Life on land, or, as is my preference, an Interment of Ashes at sea.
Retiring from Sarasota Memorial Hospital in 2018, I’ve now shifted gears from being Chaplain John, to Captain John. I’ve found over the years that time spent on the water is a healing and restful retreat from the problems, hassles and heartaches often experienced in this life. The water also provides the perfect tranquil and beautiful natural venue for celebrating the special occasions and the special people who we share life with. I personally invite you to enjoy the beauty of God’s creation along the tropical southwestern coast of Florida, while you join me to explore the sea aboard The Manta.
Seas the Day Charters runs one of the most sleek and comfortable boats on the water.
The Manta is a custom Calcutta 263 Sport Catamaran and is one of only 7 made with the “Slashback” planing hull. Boats from Calcutta Marine are unique in design, wood free and all composite construction. The reason these boats are so desirable is evident includes:
- The fine design of this quality Custom made Vessel
- 26′ twin-hulled catamaran boat gives one of the smoothest rides on the water
- Minimal heel as compared to a mono-hull
Manta slips through with waters quietly and serenely when cruising but still has plenty of muscle when you “feel the need for speed”! Powered by quiet two – four-stroke Honda 150 outboard engines.
Should you desire to go for a swim Manta’s custom design includes the:
- Unique “SeaGate” fold-down transom, allowing unparalleled water access from the stern
- The custom-built stern swim/dive platform and drop-down ladder give easy entry and exit to and from the sea
- A fresh-water rinse down system to leave you fresh not salty
The Manta has ample seating:
- A bow “Pit Group” seating area in front forward of the center console – complete with a table for drinks and appetizers for six
- A stern area includes two-marine lounge chairs offering you a rush of sensation – seats are nearly at sea level with the open transom putting you right next to the open water so you can comfortably put your feet up and ride in style
- For sun-lovers, the sundeck forward offers you a huge 8’ X 5’ platform for stretching out! Equipped with cushions that make this Manta the ultimate tanning bed!!!
Not a big sun-lover? The Manta comes equipped with has an oversized T-top hardcover, plus a gigantic double-bow Bimini soft-cover that can shade the entire bow of the boat, while still leaving plenty of headroom for standing. This ample shade ensures you won’t bake should you want to cruise midday. Captain John has several coolers aboard constantly supplied with cold bottled water and ice. There is plenty of room to chill any libations customers desire to bring on board. The Bluetooth capable radio on board lets you play the music of your choice. The Manta is licensed and U. S. Coast Guard approved for up to six passengers.
The Manta is well equipped to give you the ultimate catamaran cruising experience that you will surely remember for a lifetime!!!
Ready to Seas The Day?
Please fill out this form for your Charter to hit the Seas!